2015-08-02

Got Windows 7 In A VM. Finally!

rrr09bAnd it appears to be working just fine. Reinstalling all the programs I “usually” use; and will use them until I find a Linux equivalent that works for me. Blogilo just ain’t gonna make it. I guess I’m too used to Windows Live Writer (since it does what I want it to do). Getting S10 Password Vault installed is sure going to save me some time and effort moving all my passwords over to Linux!

Not much else going on around here. About as SSDD a Sunday as you can get for the bucks you pays. SWMBO made corn on the cob & mashed and I BBQ’d the pork chops for dinner. It was all yummy!

Now we’re just sorta chilling.

I really like this Ubuntu Studio. When I’m in Thunderbird I sometimes have to remind myself that I’m not in Windows anymore. That’s cool! I haven’t really tried all the different Audio/Video programs, yet, but I’m looking forward to it. I like learning new things and trying out different programs.

I set Thunderbird up to where the Linux and Windows programs share the same files on my data drive. That way I can check mail in either and not have to copy/move things around. But, sometimes Linux Thunderbird loses everything and I have to access my data drive, then restart Thunderbird, to get everything back. Small problem that I’m sure is fixable. Maybe I ought to permanently mount the data drive? Hmmm… I wonder how one does that?

I set it up to where I have only 2 workspaces spread across 3 screens. That means I have six places I can put running programs. Weird. Fun, but you can forget where you put things. I just made this Windows 7 VM visible in all the Workspaces so I can’t lose it. Cool!

rr06The video isn’t quite as good as it is on a straight Windows 7 OS though. VLC Media Player seems a bit more, uh, blocky is the only word that comes to mind. But a really up to date nVidia driver hasn’t been released for Linux though. One of these days … (When people get tired of Microsoft running their lives and most everyone switches over to Linux then you’ll see more programs and drivers released for Linux.)

Have to find out if X-Plane from “Steam” will download and work on Linux. I know MSFSX won’t; but it would be nice if X-Plane did. I do like my flight simulators. I don’t know what to do about OneDrive & Google Drive either. I don’t really have the room on this VM to store all those pictures. (Unless, when/if I actually format my real Windows 7 drive I could make one big damned VM out of it!)

So, right now I’m running Ubuntu Studio with a Windows 7 VM off to the right monitor and learning a lot of things. Fun!

MCARC 2-meter Sunday Evening Chat Net went well. Twelve check-ins tonight; and a couple of “new” guys. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it nice.